Hi,
Well it has been a crazy few weeks but things have settled now.
I met with a surgeon from the Hepatic/Pancreatic Clinic a few weeks ago to see if surgery is an option. The surgeon was great and spent a lot of time discussing my case but in the end the answer today is still no. He did say we should think outside the box given my age and the fact that the cancer has not moved to another area in my body. Generally they would not operate once the cancer has traveled through your lymph nodes as stats show the cancer will normally reappear in another area. Given the location of the tumour the surgery would be very risky and that is the main reason for a third surgeon saying no. He was waiting for my latest CT scan and he will present my case to the tumour board for more opinions. I will be returning to the clinic towards the end of September for a follow up. Let's hope the benefits outweigh the risk and surgery becomes an option.
Last week I had my third CT scan and the results were presented at my oncology appointment this week. Unfortunately there is still no change and they maintain the status "your cancer is stabilized". Needless to say I had a few colourful words for the trial nurse. I explained that the tumour hasn't really changed in 12 weeks and that my goal is for the tumour to disappear so this news is very frustrating. Turns out that I should not be expecting the tumour to shrink anymore. They generally see the tumour shrink in the first three months and then stabilize. I'm not giving up but my frustration level is rising. There is no other options at this point other than to continue with chemotherapy indefinitely.
Round 7 of chemo went per usual with no major problems.
I did request a small break in early November so I can travel to Mexico the first week of November and Florida the third week of November. I will be due for chemo the 2nd of November but they will postpone that treatment to fit my schedule. That did put a smile on my face!
Lastly, I purchased a new vehicle that I love and I think it deserves a new plate ....LIV42DAY! Now I just need to see if it is still available.
Bye for now,
Karen
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a crazy few weeks you have had. It's hard to know how to take it. In one way, you want shrinkage and more change in that direction. In the other hand, it's not spreading, and it seems to be controlled? Hmmm. All I do know is it's not getting worse! And what that means is that you still are in the drivers seat here Karen! Easy for me to say...
ReplyDeleteThe RN probably has had some choice words before..lol! I think you have to keep spirited, even if it is a bit colourful at times... thats the LIFE in you!!! You still have LIFE! You're going to beat it. I have so much faith in that! This tumour doesn't know what it's up against. Joxoxoxo
It has stabilized so that is a good thing!!!Every day they seem to be comming up with new treatments and hopefully this will soon happen to the type you have.
ReplyDeleteIt is easy for all of us to talk but really I know how strong and determined you have always been. This is just one more pain in T.. a..
that you will have to take in your stride..!!
Hopefully you can enjoy some normalcy right now Karen, with the kids back to school, your travel plans in place and no big changes with your cancer. Keeping you and your family in my prayers, always.
ReplyDelete