Thursday, May 10, 2012

May 2012

Hi everyone,

Feels like so much time has gone by since I've been in touch. Chemo is ongoing and I suppose it is bearable.  With the cycles only being two weeks apart it seems to creep up quickly.

Last week I had my CT scan and that turned out to be more than I expected.  A few hours after my scan I received a call from the nurse at my oncologist office. The radiologist had faxed the CT report to them saying I had a blood clot in my lung. They asked me to go down to the hospital and they proceeded to give me a large dose of blood thinners. I was told I would hear from the thrombosis clinic the following day. Early the next morning I received the call to go to the hospital to see the thrombosis doctor. After three additional tests/scans it was confirmed that I did not have a blood clot, the radiologist made a mistake. Obviously the news was positive but after visiting three out of four Ottawa Hospitals and $40 in parking later I was a little frustrated!

On Tuesday of this week Scott and I met the surgeon in Toronto.  It was nice to meet him in person and get some Toronto shopping in. The surgeon was happy with the CT scan results and told us it appears the tumour is pulling away from the pancreas. He offered to do the surgery in mid June but also said he didn't feel we were in any rush because he believes there is a positive response to chemo. I asked if we could wait until late summer or early September's for the surgery and he agreed. My preference is to enjoy the summer while the kids are out of school so the timing seems perfect.  I will return to Toronto for a CT scan on July 17th and meet with the surgeon again.

Yesterday was my regular appointment with my oncologist.  The wait was very long and the meeting lasted less than 5 minutes. Not sure why but our meeting was awkward and left me second guessing my decision to wait and have surgery in September.  My oncologist did not see the tumour shrinking at all with chemo but the radiologist and surgeon believe there is a small change. Very confusing and so many opinions. I don't think it helps that the Ottawa and Toronto hospitals don't talk to each other, I am the middle man.

Today I have left a message for another appointment or phone call with my oncologist. For Peace of mind I need to confirm that he agrees with having the surgery later vs. now.

That is all my news for the day.

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment