As I expected, chemotherapy was cancelled for the 25th. I could hear my oncologist outside the room asking if he could start chemo without the wound being closed on the answer was no.
The doctor is having a hard time getting answers on the protocol related to the total number of weeks you can be off treatment before restarting. He appeared to be a little concerned because we could not start chemo this week. Knowing there is a possibility that I will not be able to resume treatment under the trail I asked what he would give me instead. I could tell by the look on his face that news wasn't going to be good. He said "there is nothing more I can do for you". I asked why and his response was "funding". He will follow up on the protocol for the trial and also mentioned there is a process for requesting funding. Obviously I was a little shocked by this point and ended up coming home with more questions that are unanswered. It is mind boggling that you come this far with treatment/surgery and then they cannot complete the process because of funding? Doesn't make a lot of sense. I go back to see him in three weeks but I am not sure I can keep my questions in that long. I may call his nurse to see if she can get me some more answers.
On another note there are private clinics in Ottawa that will administer chemotherapy drugs. You need a prescription from your doctor and of course a money tree! When it comes down to your life you do what you have to do, even if this makes us house poor for many years. In all seriousness, it is nice to know the option is out there.
Karen
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment