Monday, February 28, 2011

Chemotherapy Is Postponed

Each day you wake up, you generally know what is going to happen, who you are going to see and what you would like to accomplish. Somehow today didn't exactly work like that for me.

I had an appointment with my Oncologist late this afternoon which is normal the day prior to chemo. The doctor asked if my wound was healed and I said not completely but very close. He quickly informed us that the protocol in the clinical trial clearly states he cannot resume chemotherapy with an open wound. From my last appointment I didn't think the size of this wound was going to stop treatment but obviously I was wrong.

Remember all the confusion a few weeks back on my ability to participate in the trial again and that I couldn't have regular chemo? Today the doctor clarified the position from the trial. The trial documentation does not even call out the protocol for returning to treatment after surgery which is truly working in my favour at this point. I expressed my concern that the documentation could get updated before I can restart treatment. Guess we just have to hope that this is a lengthy process in the hospital. My next appointment with the oncologist will be next week to see if the wound is healed.

The ET nurse was in today prior to my appointment and she recommended an oral antibiotic (powder from the capsule) be placed directly in the wound. Maybe this will get it healed before next week?

Now for the good news of the day, my CT scan from last week is clean!

Finally, I have decided to return to work on Monday, March 7th and yes, I am looking forward to it. People find that hard to believe but after months at home your mind is very bored!

I will keep in touch.

Karen

2 comments:

  1. Just a minor set back....can't do anything the easy way can you.....LOL. Glad to hear your CT Scan is clean. That is awesome news!! Keep smiling.

    Love ya
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear the scan is clear...I am sure the healing process will soon be over and you can get on your way again
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete